« Home | Why I Hate When You Guys Want Me To Do Lists » | A Baby Blunder in the Waiting Room » | Father's Day » | Say What!?! (What Others Tell You When You Are Dum... » | Overheard at the Ghetto Grocery Store » | New and Improved » | Nigel Meets Mr. CompUSA Helper (3rd Person Account) » | Nigel-noia » | Screw "Asshole" Ann Coulter » | A Kidnapped Blogger »

You Make The Call! Obnoxious or Not?

I am slowly learning a little cellphone etiquette. Like, for example, I turn the phone off or leave it in my car during dates. To me, it's just a sign of respect -- showing your date you are more interested in her than your buddy's crappy concurrent date. I walk outside with it when I receive a call at a restaurant. I turn it on "silent" or "vibrate" when I am in someone's home or at a social function or a party. Basically, I have re-trained myself. I used to walk and talk all the time. I would be the loudest one around. I would have my "beeper" (at the time) on the loudest and most annoying sound possible. By the way, I think cellphones should all play a universal and soothing sound, instead of a bunch of polyphonic hip-hop crap. Of course, then we'd all reach for our phones at the same time. But that would be a hell of a lot better than what I had to witness tonight.

The restaurant was unusually abuzz with customers, and it was a little difficult to hear yourself think. But, that doesn't mean -- in my humble opinion -- you should display your worst phone manners. Do you scream on the phone so your trivial thoughts can be heard by everyone in ear shot? Do you stand around a lot of people and let them hear your entire conversation which lasts a few minutes? Do you walk around the restaurant so everyone needs to hear about your latest degree or girlfriend or what have you? That's the type of obnoxious behavior I had to listen to and witness tonight. It was awful. It was like having Chatty Cathy talking your ear off.

In particular, this one man was walking back and forth talking about a ton of crap. He was loud, obnoxious, and incorrigible. I wanted to grab the phone from him and snap it shut. The way I see it, just because a restaurant is loud doesn't give anyone the right to invade my space with loud personal conversations. There are a ton of things I don't need to know, and many more I don't want to know.

In fact, sometimes I stare someone down if I can't handle their cellphone comportment. I just can't understand how come the call can't be taken outside or in another room. While, I'm at it, I can't stand people who grab their phones as soon as the airplane lands. You mean to tell me they can't wait until reaching the concourse? I promise nothing will happen from the time we land until the time we make it to the concourse. Come on! Help me out.

So, to review... Here are my 10 simple cellphone etiquette rules for 2006:

1. Use it only when you need it.
2. Try to keep your conversations to yourself. I don't give a damn about your life and issues.
3. Try vibrate sometime. Hell, you may even find you like it.
4. Restaurants, espeecially, are for dining with your friends, family, co-workers, etc. They're not meant for you to add another person to your group via cellphone.
5. Don't use it in the bathroom. That's just gross.
6. I know some of them make nice walkie-talkies, but all the time????
7. You don't need to have the loudest, most obnoxious ringtone (it's not a contest).
8. The camera function should not be used to take upskirt shots for your myspace page, or any other place. And, yes, I know this has happened.
9. Don't drive and dial (if possible) in states where that is still permitted.
10. Don't use it to cheat while you're gambling in Vegas. Yes, this happens. And, yes.. it can screw things up for the rest of us.

Now, there are always exceptions to the rules. There are always emergencies. But, in general, just keep the damn thing to yourself. My call is that it's just plain obnoxious.

I met a guy for drinks one time, and he excused himself from the table to take a call. After 25 minutes I left our drinks on the table and went home, explaining to him when he called me later, that I didn't come out to sit alone at a cafe, and that he was extremely rude. No excuses.

So, hear, hear! I break cel phone etiquette occasionally too, but only for emergency: My son calling from basic and is my Mom ok.

Thanks for the post!

I like number 1 - use it only when you need it. I have had maybe a half a dozen phone calls in my whole life that couldn't wait. Otherwise it's usually just two people filling up dead air with a lot of trivia.

The guy in the restaurant probably didn't have a life, but he wanted to make people think that he actually did.

You know, this post reminds me of a funny dating story. I'm going to have to blog it this week. thanks for visiting! OMG, I know the nicest single girl in cleveland. ;)

Or what kills me is when you are in a meeting somewhere and the person in charge even states "please turn all phones off or place them on vibrate"

....and invariably....

RING RING....

Dumbasses!! :)

I completely agree and I also hate when people are talking on the phone while they're in the checkout line at the store. i think it's so disrespectful.

Excellent addition! Bag your phone before you bag your groceries... or turn the damn thing off before you buy your prom dress... you can show it to your friends when you get home. Arrrgh!

Right on brother. Other annoying cell phone behaviors: (1) Anytime you see some asshat in traffic making a stupid and/or illegal move, the person is invariably on the phone. (2) When they use the "hands-free" devices and hold the phone in one hand and the microphone up to their mouth in the other. Usually, this person is also parading back and forth in front of everyone waiting at the airline gate, making sure everyone knows how important he is to be talking business on the phone. Oooh how I wish I could be as important as he is! (3) The bit about being on the phone at the checkout: I would just like to add iPod to that list as well.

And, I agree, it always bugs me when I'm with someone and they take a call and talk for 5-10 minutes or more. I might as well be alone. Or maybe the fact that it bothers me just means I am insecure or needy, I don't know. But, when I'm with someone I never take a call without (a) checking the caller ID to see if it might be important (e.g. my parents NEVER call my cell phone, so if it were them I would think something bad has happened) and (b) asking the person I'm with for permission to take the call, and then keeping it as brief as possible.

It's odd that whenever you talk about bad cell phone etiquette, everyone seems to agree that it's bad and annoying, yet you see it everywhere you go. It's like the poll where 80% of drivers think that they are above-average drivers, which by definition is impossible.

Thank you for indulging me in my rant!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted