« Home | Say What!?! (What Others Tell You When You Are Dum... » | Overheard at the Ghetto Grocery Store » | New and Improved » | Nigel Meets Mr. CompUSA Helper (3rd Person Account) » | Nigel-noia » | Screw "Asshole" Ann Coulter » | A Kidnapped Blogger » | Shrink Speak » | Nigel Uploaded » | Oh, The Money I Have Lost on First Dates! »

Father's Day

Many people refer to today as a "Hallmark Holiday," another one of those days where card makers rake in a bunch of cash by coddling us with a myriad of cards for us to give to our dads. Right as it may seem, don't you think it wouldn't hurt to take one day out of 365 days to thank our fathers for what they have done for us? Of course, to be even-handed, many of us have fathers (and mothers for that matter) we would never want to claim as our own, and dread this day more than any other.

This is not the case for me. My Dad has been unbelievably giving and generous from day one. He invented a game we used to play when I was a child called "Pillow Boomy." He would sit at one end of his room holding a pillow in front of his chest. Then, he would bark out, "Pillow Boomy!" I would run, full speed ahead, and jump into his awaiting arms. Then, he was the strong tree in the family when my Mom was diagnosed (and thankfully survived) Hodgkin's when I was only 3-years-old. He taught me to hit, run, catch and throw. That was all nor naught, though, because I have the "creativity gene", and not the athletic one (which sucks sometimes). He guided me through some rough and rocky times. I can't begin to tell you how many times he saved my ass. He always used to say, "If you are telling the truth, we will always be here to help you out."

Five years ago, when I was a burned out TV producer, my Dad offered to let me come home and join him in business -- something that, for years, he said he never wanted to do. He always wanted me to go chase my own dreams. Now, he wanted me to come work with him. I jumped at the opportunity, because it meant getting to spend every day with him. I have learned that is not always the best thing in the world (because we can get at each other), but it is not the worst either. I have never been happier in work. I truly enjoy being around Dad every day, and I know he feels the same way about me.

Dad has had many interesting jobs that he talks about. He worked as a paper boy (in high school); he worked for the Cleveland Indians baseball club in marketing and ales back in the sixties (when there were only 17 people in the office, according to him); he worked for my mother's father in the plumbing and mechanical business; and then opened his own business which we run together now. And, like I said, he has stories for all of these jobs -- especially all the guys he hung out with in baseball.

Dad also has many friends -- some as far back as when he was born. He has golfing buddies; he has close ties to our family friends; he has even closer ties to members of his/our immediate family; and he has friends in business.

Like my Grandfather (his father this time) before him, I have seen people flock to Dad because he is a "people's person". He is someone that people love to hang out with and be around because he can always make you feel better about your lot in life. He can always make you laugh. He can almost always make you smile until it hurts.

And, he can always sit firmly, hold up that pillow, and scream "PILLOW BOOMY!"

This is wonderful. I'm glad you have someone so great on which to rely!

A heartwarming post. Will Dad get to see it?

Hey Nigel.

That was a very nice entry about your dad.

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted