« Home | If Nigel Wrote a Damn Personal Ad » | Why Won't Women Show a Short Guy Some Love? » | I Surprised My Shrink » | Nigel The Bumbling Idiot » | Tease » | "I" » | Idiot Haiku Friday Volume IV » | Bonus Blog Thursday (SEX) » | DISSED BY MY OWN DOG » | People Purging (Like Spring Cleaning) »

Why the Internet is a Strange Place

The Internet is a very strange place.

For instance, I was just on one of those infamous dating websites where more than 13,000 people were on at the same time. I randomly happened to meet a girl from Denver whose father is a first cousin to my family's best friend. What a small world the Web can be.

Lately, I have been watching the Dateline NBC pieces on Internet predators -- men who take to chat rooms, find "alleged" teenage girls and set up to meet them only to be busted by the cops. Last night, it turned out one guy -- who was a 6th grade teacher, nonetheless -- set up a meeting with a "13-year-old." Now, the Internet has taken us into an age where sickos are truly exposed. myspace.com is probably one of the best sites out there for predators and the like. Those of you with kids can probably attest to the fact it is one of the first sites you want to block out because of its disgusting (at best) adult content (and I am no prude).

Then, there are some of my favorite places to visit -- places that I have found mostly through some strange Google searches. Check out the encyclopedia-of-sex.com. Here's a site that offers hundreds of slang terms for things some of us like to do. Hell, you can enter any term into Google and learn more than you wanted to about the subject. Sometimes, it freaks the hell out of me.

Want to find people, addresses, approximate birth dates and the like, try zabasearch.com. It lists a series of my addresses dating back to my time in Miami more than 10 years ago. Strange.

When I first went away to college, my roommate had AOL 2.0. We shared it. It cost next to nothing (if anything) at the time. There wasn't much out there 15 years ago, but it has obviously changed very quickly, and I am not sure that is for the good.

Is exposing some of the things that were already out there better for society or worse? Maybe we were better off when these people just did these things on their own. Maybe the Internet has given them greater access to manifest their perversions. I am not sure. I do know I spend way too much time on here, and I run into too many dicks. There are too many people on here who I would never count as friends. There are too many people on here that I would definitely look at as enemies.

This stupid Internet (sometimes) is definitely a case of buyer beware. If we spend too much time here, we may be held hostage. If we watch ourselves and those around us, we have a better chance of making our little Internet a better place.

By the way, doesn't anyone want to meet the challenge?

PLAY THE STRANGE PLACES STRANGE FACES CHALLENGE AND WIN $50

Here's how it works. For every new person you send to my blog who makes a comment, you get a point. The person has to make a reference to the fact you sent them to the site. That's how you get your point. In turn, they can also participate in the challenge. You can not vote for yourselves if you land here by accident. And, you can not vote for me if I directed you here. As the Challenge Creator, I can not win. The contest will end July 4. The blogger with the most points gets $50.00. It's that easy. This is a challenge that I am offering on my own. The rules and regulations are as stated above. Anyone is eligible. There is no such thing as "Void Where Prohibited." However, the prize will be paid in American Dollars. ANY QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO MY E-MAIL ACCOUNT ON MY PROFILE PAGE.

Excellent post.
I hate relating the world to Oprah, but I was watching (what I think may have been a repeat) about a young man who was basically a child and had 15000 clients that watched him perform sex acts. He was a CHILD. Sick.
The internet may give us lots of good things (information and access to things worldwide), but it takes away a lot of things too, like our privacy.
"Buyer beware" indeed.

Hey Nigel.

It is pretty weird how information is so easily accessible now. Some of it is even accurate too! Kinda scary! Remember going to the library to do research? Or finding a stash of Playboys and thinking you'd just won the lottery? I guess those days are almost over...In our culture of ever-changing technology, I wonder how far we'll have advanced by the time we reach old age...

Anyway, good luck with the dating game!

Take care out there, Nigel and have a swell weekend!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

I hadn't realized that you could trace back your address that long...nor some of the other things out there. Good or bad, I believe the internet will outlast us all.

You didn't mention Google Earth -- the surveillence system for the entire planet. It's creepy seeing how much others can find out about you on the internet.

Oh I love Dateline. What gets me is when the men claim they were just here to "help". What with a pack of condoms, a sixpack and some rope. Hmmmmmm.....

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted