« Home | Am I Really This Old? » | I Refuse to Write About Idol (So I'll Write About...) » | My Shortest Post Ever » | Cocktail Hours and Other Crap » | We Are All Just Pawns On The Chess Table of Life » | A Little Laughter (Courtesy: Bumper Stickers) » | Thou Shalt Plagiarize » | Why TV Can Be More Satisfying Than T&A » | I Wish I Were My Dog » | Let's Be Honest (About Sex) »

Back to the Basics

So why did I name this blog Strange Places Strange Faces?

First, I thought it was original.

Second, it was my intent to write about all the strange places I have visited/been, and all the strange places I have met/seen.

Third, it just made sense at the time.

Don't get me wrong. It still makes sense. It's just that I lost track of what I was supposed to be doing. I think most of you will agree that is probably a good thing. But, in the spirit of the blog, I am going to write about Strange Place(s) and a Strange Face(s).

It was the Summer of 1999. I was working as a TV news producer down in Miami, and a friend of mine was having a lavish birthday party, thrown by Gloria and Emilio Estefan, at a swank hotel. I had no idea what to expect when he invited me, last minute, to the party. I knew what to wear, and I had an idea some celebs would be there (my friend was just as ordinary as I am, but I think he was somehow related to the Estefans or a friend of theirs).

Obviously, there was security and I was a STRANGE FACE. They were imposing, and they looked me up and down like I was OUT OF PLACE. I felt like it too. I had been to South Beach parties before, but none like this. After I convinced these "gorillas" to let me in, I found my friend to wish him a Happy Birthday.

A couple hours, and several drinks later, I felt this tap on my back. "Nigel, I have some people I would like for you to meet."

"Fine," I said, half drunk and not really interested at this point.

"This is Gloria and Emilio Estefan."

I was wowed.

"So, you're a friend of David's?"

"Yes," I said, more alert.

"Any friend of David's is a friend of ours. Drink on us for the rest of the night. By the way, Nigel, these are our friends, Jon and Maribel Secada."

Okay, so now I damn near died. It was cool, and I was tripping. The breeze of the ocean was gentle, and hitting all of us in the right way. The music was loud. The people were totally cool, and we partied all night long.

My friends, those were the days. I was a strange face. It was a strange place. But, in the end, everything was totally comfortable and I felt like I really belonged.

'99 was a good one. It's the year I graduated.

Hmm...maybe you ARE old Nigel.

Wow, I have never felt like I "truly" belong anywhere..pretty kewl

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted