« Home | We Are All Just Pawns On The Chess Table of Life » | A Little Laughter (Courtesy: Bumper Stickers) » | Thou Shalt Plagiarize » | Why TV Can Be More Satisfying Than T&A » | I Wish I Were My Dog » | Let's Be Honest (About Sex) » | Overseen and Overheard (at the Bar) Part II » | Mother's Day » | Overseen and Overheard (at the Bar) » | Breast Man? »

Cocktail Hours and Other Crap

Why do they call them cocktail hours when they never last an hour? They most always go over. Hell, I was at a wedding last year where the cocktail hour went nearly two hours. By the way, the hors d'ouerves trays were looking pretty empty at that point. Speaking of hors d'oeurves, why do we have to call them that? They're appetizers or treats or cheese and crackers or "some stuff to much on" or, best yet, finger foods. We don't need some fancy French name to describe our finger food anymore. Heck, when was the last time the French really did anything wonderful for us? Google "French hate U.S." and you might learn something. What's a nom de plume (I have one by the way)? Why does heartburn seem to be "chest pain" and not really part of our hearts? Um, aren't raisins shriveled grapes or something like that? Why do they call some snacks "junk food" when it's not "junk" at all? Why is a compact disc referred to as compact when it's a good 5 inches in diameter? Why do our clothes have to be sized? Doesn't it just make us feel good or particularly bad about ourselves? Do you think there's a way to make sure I use every letter of the alphabet in this blog? Is that a stupid question? Why do zebras have stripes? Why does the word xylophone start with an x? Do you think (having used q, z and x) that I used all the letter for my blog? Do you even care? When Will Rogers said "I Never Met A Man I Didn't Like", was that a load of bullshit or what? I have only been on the Earth nearly 33 years and there are plenty of people who could live without me just as I could live without them. Can't quotes be dumb sometimes? Maybe that's why we should all shut our mouths. But, then again, if we shut our mouths we'll never be able to enjoy that cocktail hour.

You are clearly meant to be a journalist with your limitless questions.

Perhaps the quote, "I've never met a man I didn't like" was intended to make Rogers sound jovial and kind, while actually demeaning those he doesn't like, calling them less than men.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted