« Home | I Refuse to Write About Idol (So I'll Write About...) » | My Shortest Post Ever » | Cocktail Hours and Other Crap » | We Are All Just Pawns On The Chess Table of Life » | A Little Laughter (Courtesy: Bumper Stickers) » | Thou Shalt Plagiarize » | Why TV Can Be More Satisfying Than T&A » | I Wish I Were My Dog » | Let's Be Honest (About Sex) » | Overseen and Overheard (at the Bar) Part II »

Am I Really This Old?

Recently, one of my friends introduced his toddler to me. "This is Mr. Vossap," he told the child.

"Can you say 'Hi' to him?"

"Hi, Mr. Vossap," the young boy grinned.

Jesus, I thought. When did I become my father? Only my father is Mr. Vossap. I am plain old Nigel. Seriously, when do we cross over from a simple introduction to a more formal introduction?

"It's okay. You can call me Nigel," I said to the boy.

I remember when I was that boy's age that my parents rule of thumb was that every adult was to be formally addressed unless they asked otherwise. So, in my childhood, most everyone was "Mr." and "Mrs.". Kind of like the Cunninghams from "Happy Days".

No kid would ever call them Howard or Marion.

My friend nearly glanced a hole through me when I told the boy he could address me as Nigel. Apparently, the boy is being taught to address everyone formally. Maybe I just don't get it, or maybe I am a little less uppity than my friends (whom I respect). At 33, please call me Nigel. Call my Dad Mr. Vossap. Loosen up. It's all good. Years from now, you are not going to want to feel like your parents either.

aww its not like you have ohhh... another 60 maybe 70 years to live? hah

people take their age for granted.

I hate that too. But at least it's better than having kids call you "sir."

Yeah...I think I know what you mean.
But I was raised VERY formally.
So formally in fact, that to this day my mother still feels uncomfortable calling even my FRIENDS parents anything but "Mr." and "Mrs.".
(And we've known them for over 20 years!)

I think I'd like to be introduced as "Ms." unless I otherwise indicate...there's something about a pre-teen running around calling me by my first name as if we were equals that gives me the creeps!

I hate being called Mrs. or Ms., but I hate being called 'Auntie' even more. Friends of mine suggested that their children call me 'Auntie Kim', and for some reason, THAT made me feel ancient.

HA! My own husband addresses me as Mam....
I think it's kind of cute. But I know how you feel. My friend made her child call me Ms. Maggie....HATE IT!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted