« Home | Professor Sarah Trenholm and Interpersonal Communi... » | Some Saturday Morning Philosophy » | Idiot Haiku Friday Volume III (By Popular Demand) » | Idiot Haiku Friday Vol. II » | Idiot Haiku for Friday » | Just How F'ed Up Laws Can Be » | A Quick Tutorial on Class » | Photo Finish: Online Dating Sites » | Girl Talk (or How to Confuse a Dude the Easy Way) » | America's Most Wanted »

Jim Croce and I

I was less than two months old when Jim Croce, the great folksy musician died in a plane crash. He was 40. I really don't fit the demographic of a guy who should love and appreciate Croce's music. That's why I want to share an easy secret with you. A great deal of the music we come to know and love is from before our time.

Music, as a great tradition (especially in America) is passed down through generations. It's no wonder I just found Croce's 1984 LP (released posthumously of course) of Greatest Hits in my record collection. By the way, I own the cassette too. And, it's one of those albums I could listen to again and again and again.

It is rich in volume, texture, meaning and importance. I like a lot of songs on that album, including "Operator", "I Got a Name", "I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song" and, perhaps one of the greatest songs ever, "Time in a Bottle".

"Time in a Bottle" was written in 1973, and became a #1 Billboard smash shortly after Croce's death. It is one of my favorite songs to listen to, because the lyrics just strike me in a different chord each time I listen to it. My older cousin Kevin used to play guitar, and I remember how he would play the first few chords of this song. Maybe that's why I appreciate it so much. It reminds me of my childhood.

So, it's a pleasure to share the lyrics with you on my blog, so that each one of you can look around at the people you love and realize we are all just spending time in a big bottle. Love every day, love every way, and and love as you may. Our days really are treasured, and you never know when time is up.

Go out there and tell someone you love them. It's cathartic. Believe me.

Good night, for now. Tomorrow: some humor from my past.

TIME IN A BOTTLE

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Til' eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you
If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save every day like a treasure and then
Again, I would spend them with you

Chorus:
But there never seems to be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them
I've looked around enough to know
That you're the one I want to go
Through time with

If I had a box just for wishes
And dreams that had never come true
The box would be empty
Except for the memory
Of how they were answered by you

Chorus

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted