« Home | Girl Talk (or How to Confuse a Dude the Easy Way) » | America's Most Wanted » | WNEP, Baseball and Corporate B.S. » | WHY ACE IS OUT OF PLACE (AN AMERICAN IDOL TRAGEDY) » | THE MUST READ TOP 10 (AS PROMISED) » | Blogger's Block? Introducing Ike » | How a Funeral Can (Re)Define Someone » | MONICA » | What You Can Learn At The Bar » | The Importance of Mister Rogers »

Photo Finish: Online Dating Sites

Okay, I'll admit it. I have gone on one too many online dates where the object in the mirror is not as it has appeared -- meaning that the girl I saw online in no way resembled the one I picked up for my date. I'll fess up to the fact I, myself, have even posted some old photos in order to make myself look more attractive. That's why I have made an executive decision for all of these online dating websites: END THE USE OF ONLINE DATING PHOTOS. Here's why:

1. Looks don't really account for the soul of a human being.
2. You don't know if it's the actual person anyway.
3. Some people really do want to maintain their anonymity and privacy.

Those are just a few good reasons as far as I am concerned. The most important is the first. Taking away photos would force members to learn more about potential partners before they go on a date. There could always be an option to exchange photos, even through the website, but photos should not automatically appear. It reinforces one of the worst moral problems with society: vanity. It says the only thing that matters is how you look. Don't go any further than this photo. While I must admit that physical attraction is a fundamental part of a sound relationship, it doesn't change the fact that such a relationship should begin by looking at some picture of someone over the internet. I therefore urge online dating websites to re-think the photo business, and come to a photo finish.

When you meet someone, it's their physicality you notice, but as you grow more as a person, beauty matters less. It's the warmth that comes through laughter and joy that makes you want to spend time or get to know that person better. For me, it's the way that person treats other people - that reveals his real character. So while I do agree with you that looks don't really account for the soul of a human being, I still like to make sure that any prospective suitor doesn't have three eyes. As for people wanting to maintain their anonymity and privacy, they should perhaps consider another way to find a date.

where are my $50 bucks?????

I did a search recently and got back 18 pages of hits. I need photos for screening purposes, though I also reply to those with no photo at all. My photo rules:
1) anyone who posts their wedding photo with wife's head xed out, just cuz they think they look hot in a tux
2) anyone posting their ironman speedo shot -- cuz that's just trying too hard to impress me
3) anyone posting more than 10 photos (cuz if you can't get it across in five, there's something wrong with you)
4) anyone who I would never ever want to be seen in public with -- even thinking with the most open mind in the world
5) anyone who looks insane (and there are quite a few of those)
6) anyone holding golf clubs -- hate golf
7) anyone holding handcuffs (cuz that shouldn't come up until later)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted