« Home | The Importance of Mister Rogers » | How to Make "Today" Tank » | The "Eye" Has It (Couric) » | Only The Beginning »

What You Can Learn At The Bar

I met a great guy and his wife tonight while sitting alone at one of my favorite local watering holes. Turns out the guy is a Cleveland police officer who has been on the job for 19 years. He was once even in the Gang Task Force which was, at one point, disbanded due to financial concerns. Bob F. told me that things were much better 19 years ago. Benefits like health care were entirely paid for. Now, nine years away from his pension kicking in, he knows he won't be able to retire because he pays out the "yin-yang" (his words) for medical. He has a beautiful wife, and two kids -- ages 8 and 11. What the hell is wrong with this picture? I have friends in the clergy, who are wonderful men and women, but they are not putting their lives on the line every day. They can write everything off. Cars, houses, et al. Doesn't anyone, outside of Bob's family, realize there could come a day where he just doesn't come home? And, we can't provide health care for him and his family? THIS FLAT OUT SUCKS. There is no way that this is the America I am proud to live in. This makes Cleveland look like a third-class (not even second-class) city. I am embarrassed. If I actually lived in the city proper, I would go nuts. So, who is speaking up? Who is telling union bosses and the Mayor that this sucks? You all should. Each and every one of you. If ever there was a time to stand up to establishment, and tell them that things are unacceptable, this is it. Bob, who I only spent a couple hours with, is a guy who is on the up-and-up. No doubt about it. His wife, who I'll call Angela, is a sweetheart who cares only about him and their two kids. 19 years, and this guy is still a patrolman, although he could be so much more. He is somewhat content with the status quo, but that doesn't mean we should be. It's time for dramatic, drastic change. It's time to end the B.S. And, it's time to give these officers, who lay it on the line every day, their due. Please help me help them by contacting both the Mayor and the Department of Public Safety.

Mayor Frank Jackson
216-664-2220

Cleveland Department of Public Saftey
Michael McGrath, Chief
216-623-5000

TOMORROW: My friend who helped me start the Blog.

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted