« Home | The "Eye" Has It (Couric) » | Only The Beginning »

How to Make "Today" Tank

Before I even had time to handicap the possible co-anchors to succeed Katie Couric at NBC's brilliant "Today" show, NBC execs today hired Meredith Vieira (from "The View") to fill the spot. Quite frankly, the brass could have done a lot better. As Simon Cowell would say, this is a "safe" choice. I would call it lackluster myself. Sure, her resume speaks volumes about her as a journalist. Sure, she fits in well as the campy moderator of "The View." Sure, she is a regular Regis in the syndicated version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". And sure, they got her on the cheap. The New York Times is suggesting she may be only getting $2.25 per million/year. That will certainly keep her current "Today" show ensemble happy.

Speaking of. Matt Lauer had to say something nice about the hire. So, he said, "Meredith is a real pro, and I think it speaks volumes that NBC has brought her here to "Today." I have been her fan for years and I can't wait to be her partner. She has the perfect background and personality to make a real mark on this show and in morning news in general. I'm thrilled to welcome her aboard." Please. What else was he supposed to say? Let's talk about who could have been his sidekick (here comes my late handicapping). Natalie Morales, the beautiful, bubbly and talented NBC newsperson. She is young (thirties), energetic and fits a lot of the most important demographics. Then, there's Campbell Brown -- another NBC colleague. She is a bit more stiff, but warm on the set next to Matt. She would have seemed the next obvious choice, given her fill-in roles (which I suspect will continue through the summer). Finally, Ann Curry had been mentioned to move into Katie's role. Let's be serious. She can barely read the news let alone mingle with Matt and Al. She is totally mismatched on that set day in, day out. So, in the end, in this blogger's opinion, NBC simply settled on the cheap, easy way out, hoping Vieira's morning appeal on "The View" and plethora of journalism awards would justify making her Katie's replacement. Only time will tell, but I'd be gushing right about now if I were Charlie and Dianne.

By the way, best comment of the day: Andy Rooney, 60 Minute's veteran curmudgeon telling Don Imus he wasn't happy about Katie coming aboard (CBS).

And, as promised yesterday, the beginning of a special feature I'll call "Truth Be Told".

TRUTH BE TOLD

I actually did meet Wilt Chamberlain back in 1995 at a small salsa nightclub on South Beach. He walked in right in front of me, and I was more than intimidated by his size. He is, to this day, the largest man I have ever seen. Shaq included. I wasn't however intimidated to strike up a conversation with the Stilt. He was sitting at a two person table in the bar area, and one of the seats was empty. I asked him if he would mind if I sat in the other seat. He gladly said "yes", and I didn't quite know what to say or do at that point. His legs reached under my chair. So, I simply said, "Mr. Chamberlain, you were the greatest." He thanked me. I moved on and looked for my friends. It was one of those chance meetings you'll always remember. A few years later, when he died way too young, I sat stunned at my newsroom desk, recalling how this super-sized celebrity was calm and cool with me that night. I wasn't hounding him. I never got an autograph. I just exchanged a few words. But, in the end, they are words I'll never forget.

Words are something we should treasure and never forget. That's why tomorrow you can look forward to my feelings about the late Fred Rogers and some of the important words he left behind.

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted