« Home | How to Make "Today" Tank » | The "Eye" Has It (Couric) » | Only The Beginning »

The Importance of Mister Rogers

Fred Rogers was a fixture in American homes from 1968-2001 on his widely popular "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood". Many people don't know he was an ordained Presbyterian minister who was born and raised in and around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In fact, his television show was broadcast from Pittsburgh's PBS network. This amazing man was a puppeteer, entertainer, philosoper and friend to many. In my opinion, growing up with this red-sweatered wonder in my home everyday was one of the best things that happened to me. I learned almost as much from Mister Rogers as I did from anyone else. He is someone I will always hold in the highest regard, and I hope that future technology (including DVDs) will allow us to preserve his wisdom forever. I want you to know that much of this wisdom is captured in a wonderful book called "The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember" by Fred Rogers (Hyperion 2003). There are four sections in the book which include quotes and thoughts from Rogers himself. Here is one of my favorites, from a section called "Understanding Love".
"It always helps to have people we love beside us when we have to do difficult things in life."
I think many of us can relate to this simple adage. Several years ago, I made a difficult decision to leave my chosen profession, as a TV new producer to join my family business (construction) in Cleveland. This was a difficult decision, but it was reinforced by the people closest to me -- including my family members, best friends and even clergy. It was difficult for me to give up something I loved, but their support and approval made it easier for me to make the transition.

Mr. Rogers book is full of wisdom, and I suggest it for all of you. The book can be found on Amazon.com for as little as $1.50! So, do yourself the favor, and make the small investment.

TRUTH BE TOLD

It is true that I called my mother's mother Nana Uh-Uh because, as a precocious youngster, she would tell me "Uh-Uh" when I would get into something that I shouldn't have.

WIN $50!!!! AMAZING FIRST CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT

Many people have already visited our site. But, we are looking for many more. And, we are most especially looking for people to comment on our articles. So, the person who sends the most commentators to our site between now and May 7 will win $50. The commentator needs to say that they were recommended to the site by you. That's all. Send the most traffic my way, and win $50!

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted