« Home | A Quick Tutorial on Class » | Photo Finish: Online Dating Sites » | Girl Talk (or How to Confuse a Dude the Easy Way) » | America's Most Wanted » | WNEP, Baseball and Corporate B.S. » | WHY ACE IS OUT OF PLACE (AN AMERICAN IDOL TRAGEDY) » | THE MUST READ TOP 10 (AS PROMISED) » | Blogger's Block? Introducing Ike » | How a Funeral Can (Re)Define Someone » | MONICA »

Just How F'ed Up Laws Can Be

I learned something very interesting recently. It actually blew my mind, and made me more angry with Ohio state law than I have ever been before. A friend of mine, who I'll call "Oscar", was recently pulled over and accused of DUI. According to police, he blew a .20 on a breath analyzer test. Now, guilty or not, I can not condone Oscar's behavior even though he is a friend. Aside from some other repercussions, Oscar now has to drive with the dreaded 'Scarlet Plate', recognizing him as a drunk driver.

Read the last sentence. Notice how it's in the present tense. That's where my anger enters the equation. Oscar has not yet been convicted of any crime in any court of law. However, the neighbor across the street is a registered sex offender (completely convicted) with his picture placed on the county sheriff's website.

The state has the nerve to make my friend -- convicted of no crime as of yet -- use these scarlet plates in order to drive to and from work (basically). The state unfairly convicts him before a trial. He feels slighted because he recognizes that a hardened criminal -- convicted of a felony -- and living within ear shot -- suffers a fate almost less than he does.

In my opinion, sex offenders ought to have colored plates too, especially when they are convicted. Hell, Oscar has not even been convicted, and people could be staring at him all the time as if he is a bad person. That, quite frankly, is bull. Oscar is a good citizen. He has a nice family, a good job, nice friends, et al. Oscar may not even be convicted of this thing by the time all is said and done, yet he still has to live with the scarlet letter.

What is it about the laws of this state that make it seem so F'ed up? Maybe it's the juxtaposition of these two offenses, and how my friend is being treated. All I want is justice in this state and equality for my friend.

it was a .2, at 2., I would have been dead I think.

Jesus. My proof-reader is getting lazy, and should be fired. Maybe he is the same guy who just put the decimal point between the 8 and 9 on the gas sign at the Citgo station on Warrensville Center Road at Rockside, making the price of gas 28.9 dollars per gallon. Now that would be something worth blogging about. At any rate, Oscar, your point has been duly noted and fixed.

Oh...the scarlet plates. I never knew they gave those out BEFORE a conviction. That is just, well, crazy.

I always feel sorry for the poor saps from New Mexico (I think) who have the yellow and red plates. You know all the Ohioans are like, "Ohhh...." as they pass by.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted