« Home | Jim Croce and I » | Professor Sarah Trenholm and Interpersonal Communi... » | Some Saturday Morning Philosophy » | Idiot Haiku Friday Volume III (By Popular Demand) » | Idiot Haiku Friday Vol. II » | Idiot Haiku for Friday » | Just How F'ed Up Laws Can Be » | A Quick Tutorial on Class » | Photo Finish: Online Dating Sites » | Girl Talk (or How to Confuse a Dude the Easy Way) »

Drunk Dialing

Okay. You all know what I am talking about. These days the concept of "drunk dialing" has morphed into everything from drunk text-messaging to drunk e-mailing. If you ask me, those two are a hell of a lot of worse because those are messages that can be shown to everyone. Then, you are a goner. So, if you want my advice, stick to drunk dialing (in case the person records your conversation).

I admit, I was pretty good at this whole drunk dialing game in my time. Yep. I could drunk dial with the best of them. Here was the concept: Take Nigel out to the bar. Get him as wasted as possible and drop him off somewhere on his own (preferably near a telephone since this was mostly in the pre-cellular age). Now, mind you. I was one cocky SOB, with no cares or concerns -- especially when I had a few in me. It was always easy for me to make conversation, and not always easy for me to get rejected. So, when you put me on the phone, all inhibitions were set aside.

Kim (not her real name) was this beautiful woman I worked with. She was boyfriend-less, and we used to hang out as "friends". I think we all know how that goes. I'll address that in a future blog -- about how men and women can/can't be friends. In this case, I would have given my left arm or most any other limb to step it up a notch with Kim. But, she'd rather go to dinner, movies, etc. I hate cats, and I even catsat for her once. That's a BIG step for me. That has to be love.

So, one night I am out with my buddies and we start drinking. Let's say it's 9 p.m. The fun ends around 2 in the morning (at least with them). Now, my fun is just beginning (or so I think). This is where drunk dialing turns into one of the biggest embarrassment in the world. I call Kim and get her machine. I start to babble about how our friendship is nice, but I need more and want more.... and I go on for a few minutes. Many of the "flattering" things I said can not be written in this space.

The next day we are at work. There are about half a dozen people around. Kim asks me how I am feeling. I AM THINKING UNEASY AT THIS POINT. Mighty Nigel is about to be knocked off his throne. She tells everyone she has a little something to share. You see, I had called her cell phone that night, and every last word was recorded for everyone to hear.

I carefully crawled back beneath my cubicle, tail between my legs and vowed to never drunk dial again (at least not for the remainder of that week).

P.S. We remain friends, and I am sure she would appreciate the recounting of this story.

Someone takes a private goof and publicly humiliates you in front of your coworkers, and you still consider them a friend?

Wow. The power of T&A over your brain cannot be denied.

I know eactly what you are talking about.... ;)

-elise

But aren't drunk visits the best? LOL.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted