« Home | Wedding Etiquette » | Good News For Visitors » | Wedding Bells and Balls » | The Dudes Strike Again » | Remembering Nana Uh-Uh » | What An SMS Can Do For You » | More Doody on Dudes » | What The Hell Do I Do With These? » | Deciphering Dudes Redux » | Nigel Does The White Party (and the Divine Miss M) »

When a Stranger Smiles at You

Okay. The strangest thing keeps happening to me and I just don't get it. Maybe some of you can help shed some light on the subject. Over the past few weeks, women have smiled at me nearly half a dozen times (no exaggeration) from a distance. Our eyes usually meet, and then they just smile. I think five out of the six were married or had rings on their fingers (seeing as how that's about the first place I look after the smile). Some time ago, I wrote about eye contact being the first form of interpersonal communication. Isn't smiling more powerful? I just can't understand if I look friendly, if there is an attraction (that's too weird), what the deal is... but nevertheless I keep getting soft smiles from the opposite sex. I'm open to any ideas as to what is going on here. Believe me, I like the smiles. It makes me want to go up and introduce myself, but I think that's too much. So, these people remain anonymous, like me, and at a distance... Can you tell me why?

If the woman smiles first--and initiates the eye contact--I'd talk to her. Who knows, right?

um... is your fly open??

just kidding... usually i smile if ANYONE makes eye-contact with me...

I find I get smiles a lot from strangers.

However, when I am in a happy mood or a whimsical mood then I get like a million smiles.

So - feeling happy Nigil?

um. that kind of sounds like what i call my "benevolent pastoral smile." then again i think i'm to nervous to give that smile to those i might be interested in hitting on. i don't think i'm helping you in any way.

:-)

I smile, and often say h'lo, to anyone I make eye contact with. I think it's a midwestern thang. I was amazed when I meandered around Baltimore a few years ago; everyone looked at their feet everywhere they went.

I smile 'cus I'm from a small town and I was taught to be friendly to neighbours.
It's an acknowledgement that another human being is standing/walking there.

That's doesn't necessarily mean it's an invitation though.
You know, sometimes men give each other the 'manly man nod', but they don't want a date!

p.s. that's not to say that it's not because you're not hot...I'm sure you are...uh...

:)

I smile when made eye contact with, not cause I want to hump he/she. It's just a nice way of admitting there is a living human being standing there. Maybe I'm wrong?

plus, if you have ike with you, who WOULDN'T smile?

any guy w/ a great dog deserves a smile

If I smile at a stranger - its either because I am being polite, OR I think he is cute. I try not to smile at a stranger if I don't want attention from him. A smile is an invitation for more. It's a woman's way of opening the door to a potential conversation...

Maybe it is because you look like Will from Big Brother.

Elise

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted