« Home | 100 Things You Don't Know About Me: The Final Volume » | Deciphering Dudes » | 100 Things You Don't Know About Me Vol. III » | "Funeral Day" » | 100 Things People Don't Know About Me Vol. II » | 100 Things People Don't Know About Me Vol. I » | What She Says + What He Hears = Love » | A Tear Should Be Followed By a Chuckle » | Those of You Who Voted For (c)..... » | Events That Changed Our Lives »

Nigel Does The White Party (and the Divine Miss M)

In 1999, I found myself assigned to one of the best stories ever. My boss told me I was going to interview Bette Midler. Now, aside from the tears I shed watching "Beaches", I wasn't a huge fan. In fact, that song "The Rose" is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Nonetheless, the opportunity to interview this amazing celebrity was just too good to pass up. So, I was told that she would be at a club called "Salvation", and that I should be there around 8 o'clock or so. I had never been to Salvation, so I didn't know what to expect.

So, my boss forgot to tell me one thing about Salvation. It was one of Miami's hottest gay spots. That's cool with me. I have a ton of gay friends -- and some relatives, too. I just didn't know what I was getting into. You see, Midler was performing at an event called the "White Party". If memory serves me correctly, it was called "Winter Party" at that point in time. Anyway, the place was jampacked with gays and lesbians who were partying their asses off. Some of them were my friends, actually....(and I think they were wondering what the hell I was doing there all dressed up when they were starting to shed clothes).

A "bouncer" led us to this area where there was a dais with a bunch of cameras. We thought he was leading us to the Divine Miss M. No such luck. We saw Bette Midler that night, but not up close and personal. We saw the shy entertainer jump out on stage, make a proclamation about her "stage fright", talk about the importance of HIV/AIDS research and jam her ass off.

I bring this up for a number of reasons. It was about the first time I did not get the interview. It was one of the most electrifying nights of my life, and it was one of the first times I really gave serious thought to the HIV/AIDS crisis in this country. These "parties" are an excellent way for my gay and lesbian friends to celebrate diversity and deliver a message to the world: that none of us will ever stop fighting for a cure for this illness.

You may have no knowledge of these parties, so I wanted you to check out Jeffrey Sanker's website, www.jeffreysanker.com. Jeff is the leading promoter of the White Parties today. Check him out!

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted