« Home | What An SMS Can Do For You » | More Doody on Dudes » | What The Hell Do I Do With These? » | Deciphering Dudes Redux » | Nigel Does The White Party (and the Divine Miss M) » | 100 Things You Don't Know About Me: The Final Volume » | Deciphering Dudes » | 100 Things You Don't Know About Me Vol. III » | "Funeral Day" » | 100 Things People Don't Know About Me Vol. II »

Remembering Nana Uh-Uh

NANA UH-UH
OCTOBER 15, 1911 - JULY 17, 1986
A TRIBUTE

I grew up with a great deal of respect for all of my family members. Much of my family pride was bestowed upon me by my four Grandparents -- each of whom had separate talents, but equal positions on how we should operate as a familial unit. I like to think of them as the four pillars which held our families together.

On July 17, 1986, I was beginning the second of three sessions at French Woods Festival of the Performing Arts -- an overnight camp that specialized in theatre, circus performance, singing, dancing and such. Quite suddenly, I was summoned to the office for an "emergency". This was never good. I had been sent to the office numerous times, for numerous infractions, but I swear I hadn't done anything this time.

"We have some bad news for you," the camp director said as he greeted me at the door.

Tears began welling up in my eyes. My Great-Aunt had been battling cancer for several years.

"It's my Aunt, isn't it?"

"No, it's your grandmother."

"Grandmother," I exclaimed, now in a full-blown panic attack. "Which grandmother?"

"Why don't you call home," the director offered.

My Mom and Dad were home. They told me Nana Uh-Uh (my Mom's mom) had died in the hospital. She was there for a few days because she had a bad heart and other health issues. To make a long story short, the bastards at the hospital screwed up on a procedure, punctured something, and caused my beloved Nana to die.

I was ten days shy of my 13th birthday -- five weeks shy of my Bar Mitzvah, a milestone that was dimmed by the loss of her light. Needless to say, it sucked. I stood tall and delivered one of the eulogies a few days later, but not without the thought in the back of my mind that I had lost one of my best friends and staunchest supporters. Nana came to every Grandparents Day at school. She came to my plays. She had Sunday night dinners with family. She spent a week with me in the Spring of '86 when I flew out to be with her and my Papa at their winter home. She gave me so many memories to cherish.

So, today is a really special day. I frequently visit the cemetery to talk to my Nana. I visit every July 17, with the exceptions (few) when I wasn't living in Cleveland. Those years come and go. But, this year is somehow different. Twenty years. Just to say it seems surreal. I miss her so much. It is difficult to believe we are now separated by 20 years. That's well more than half my life. I remember other years that seemed significant, especially that first year....but this year just seems like it is so heavy. Maybe it is what I have been through the last year and all, having been engaged, dis-engaged, etc. Maybe it is that I am starting to see things more clearly as they relate to my life. Or, maybe it is the fact that 20 years just seems like a lifetime.

No matter what, during those 20 years, my beautiful Nana has just grown closer and closer to my heart.

I miss you Nana.

Omigosh, that is so beautiful. I have a post about my gorgeous little grandson on my blog. He and I have a special friendship.

Your Nana would be so thrilled to have you honour her this way.

Josie

oh. grandma. miss her. *sniff* hey, does your grandma "visit" you, too? (i've been watching crossing over or whatever for the last 2 hours)

It was a beautiful post about your Gma.

It's coming up on the day that my dad passed away. It will be 5 yrs now. 5 yrs without his corny jokes and him sitting in his favorite chair reading a book. They say it gets easier...I think it just gets harder.

Hey Nigel.

It's nice that you remember your nana this way. The time sure does fly, doesn't it? Yet 20 years does seem like a lifetime at the same time...

Take care, Nigel.

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted