« Home | More Doody on Dudes » | What The Hell Do I Do With These? » | Deciphering Dudes Redux » | Nigel Does The White Party (and the Divine Miss M) » | 100 Things You Don't Know About Me: The Final Volume » | Deciphering Dudes » | 100 Things You Don't Know About Me Vol. III » | "Funeral Day" » | 100 Things People Don't Know About Me Vol. II » | 100 Things People Don't Know About Me Vol. I »

What An SMS Can Do For You

Short Message Services (SMS) are something I love for my cellphone because they keep me in touch with the world in live time with things like breaking news updates, amber alerts and sports scores, etc. They can also be used by other websites and companies to send messages throughout the day, week or month, etc., to you -- messages you can chew on. Today, I received such a message from Ask Moses, a "Jewish" site that offers all types of information on Judaism, but also is very informational to other denominations, as well.

"All problems stem from the lack of spiritual light -- our job is to
increase the light and let it shine forth everywhere."



I absolutely love this quote that was sent to me as an SMS. It doesn't take much to understand, and it -- to me -- is so true. To me, it is somewhat akin to question girl's recent post, Wednesday with Q.G.. The fact of the matter is that we all need to start leading less selfish lives. We need to find ways to make differences in our communities -- to spread the light. We need to find ways to help others while we help ourselves at the same time. Can we put other people -- needy people -- ahead of ourselves? Can we find a way to exact change? Is it too late to help other people? Has society become so polarized that we can't see beyond ourselves? These are the serious questions we need to ask ourselves -- and now. There is no time to wait.

I spend 15-20 hours a month volunteering at the Cleveland Sight Center. There, I read selected articles from the New York Times and Wall Street Journal live on radio broadcasts for the visually impaired. I also belong to other organizations that eat up my time, but that make me feel good because I know I am making a difference. I am asking you to try to find five to ten hours a month to make that same difference. That's just 120 hours a year -- that's five days, or just one work week a year. That's the least any one of us can do to make a change.

i just checked out deciphering dudes. LOVE IT!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted