« Home | Funny Friendship "Pass-it-On" E-mail » | When a Stranger Smiles at You » | Wedding Etiquette » | Good News For Visitors » | Wedding Bells and Balls » | The Dudes Strike Again » | Remembering Nana Uh-Uh » | What An SMS Can Do For You » | More Doody on Dudes » | What The Hell Do I Do With These? »

Birthday Dinner Fun

For my birthday, we went to this restaurant Dad and I built a couple years ago. We know the owner very well and the food is widely regarded as the best in Cleveland. It's always fun, because the kitchen is open, I know everyone who works there (because I frequent the place), our friend (the owner) is a real stitch and the beat goes on...

Anyway, tonight the restaurant was unusually noisy. There were a few large parties and I was sitting with my parents at a comfortable corner table. The restaurant is quite small, seating about 90 people in our section. It was packed tonight. Anyway, the fun started when I saw this "cute" older couple being shown to their table right next to ours. They were obviously on a date, which is both cool and curious to observe when it involves the "elderly". Their dates are definitely different than ours.... sometimes noble; other times humorous; still other times shocking. You just never know what you are going to see and hear.

Anyway, it was obvious by the way they perused the menu the couple had never been to the restaurant before. The man was definitely annoyed by the din. The woman was seemingly happy to be at this restaurant in his company. She, too, though complained about the noise.

The restaurant is famous for many dishes, not the least of which is a side dish called "pomme frites". Pomme frites are french fries that are freshly cut shoestring potatoes that have been properly seasoned. No grease here. A plate that is stacked so high it almost touches the ceiling. You have to have a table of at least six (honestly) to finish this baby. So, my Mom and Dad ordered it with their dinner, and the lady next to us remarked on how many there were and how good they looked.

My mom asked, "would you like to try some?"

The woman never hesitated. "Yes, if you don't mind."

"No," my mom said. "Go ahead, give me a plate. Here have some."

This thing was getting cuter by the minute. The woman dug in, and nodded her head in approval. Now, the man grabbed some, too. He obviously enjoyed them as well. It was almost as if the magical pomme frites made all the noise in the restaurant go away, as our two tables seemingly merged in to one. The next thing you know, the couple had pilfered our fries (we didn't care), and were devouring them.

Later, they joined my parents in singing Happy Birthday, then returned to the frites, which they ended up taking home!

My mom subsequently unsuccessfully had a conversation stalking (when you start trying to find out stuff from a complete stranger) with the man about his favorite restaurants. I had to assure him she was harmless. However, she did manage to find out the smartly dressed man was 93. His lady friend was much younger. The man didn't really want to say much else, probably because he realized my Mom had eavesdropped on his entire dinner conversation.

But, I have to say, this couple -- strangers to me -- made my Birthday more interesting. I did feel like I had extra people out with me for my special celebration. And, they sang a mean Happy Birthday!

So, how do complete strangers end up in each other's conversations -- especially when sitting next to each other at a restaurant? Are we all that nosy? Or is it that we are all trying to be social and friendly?

I think people like the company of other people in a shared environment. It's sort of like this blogging community. None of us "know" each other, but we drop in to visit each other once in a while to see what's "happening". People like being social. It's what makes us human.

And Happy Birthday.....! It sounds like you had a very nice time.

Josie

ok, this doesn't answer your questions, but i wanted to mention my grandma and her boyfriend. i was 16 and the only one dating in the house was my grandma in her early 90's. her boyfriend was 20 years younger. oooo. it was so depressing. he'd all send her chocolates and such and then she'd be able to make them last 3 months because she was a freak and actually had self control surrounding chocolate. *sigh* it was cute.

Congrats to both of you. You are my newest members of the Blog of Fame.

YAY! what?

nevermind. i found my ass in the dark with not just one hand but two finally.

i had a roomate who would always say that, and i never understood what it meant, yet still fully appreciate it.

Happy birthday - so this dinner sounded kinda magical, eh?

That happens to me all the time.

I prefer to consider it happy and social, rather than creepy and weird.

I like talking to people...sometimes they have the most interesting things to say.
There's been more than one occasion where my table has joined another table and gotten along fabulously.

It's fun, and worth the effort...unless they're weird and creepy.
In that case?
Run.

OH! and....

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to YOUUUU!!

a very happy birthday to a new "friend" met via "eavesdroping"

Happy Birthday Nigel.

Happy belated birthday, Nigel!!!

Sorry for the late wishes, but I've been out of the blogging loop these days...

I plan to do a new post some time this week.

(I enjoy "Lucky Louie" too...Louis C.K. is a funny guy)...

I hope all is well!

Talk to you soon!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Do you think they met on speed dating? :-)

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of my fave bloggers!!

missy xx

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted