« Home | 6:30 a.m. at the Gym » | Bonus Blog Tuesday: Junk E-Mail Titles » | A Trip To The Dentist » | If a Picture Paints a Thousand Words... » | It's Party Time, People! » | My Favorite Superhero » | A Trip to the Pharmacy (Funny) » | You Make The Call! Obnoxious or Not? » | Why I Hate When You Guys Want Me To Do Lists » | A Baby Blunder in the Waiting Room »

Deciphering "Guyspeak"

This blog is dedicated to a fellow blogger who was the inspiration for this piece. We talked about it for a little bit, and it gave way to what I am about to write. You know who you are, and I am grateful.

This blog is about some forms of what I call "Guyspeak", which is the shit we fellas say that you just don't understand. In this issue of "Nigel's Guide to Guyspeak", I'll discuss some terms of endearment.

First, let's check out the word "cute". "Cute" is something we call you when you are decent looking and we would take you out with our friends. We wouldn't show you off, per se, but you are definitely some one who could hang with the guys. A girl is "cute" when she can drink beer with us, party with us and maybe "hook up" with us. We aren't going to have a long-term relationship with her. It's akin to calling her "nice". It means she's great to go out with, nice to be around, but there will never be a serious relationship.

Second, let's deal with the word, "pretty". "Pretty" means we want to offer you a compliment, but we don't want to blow things out of proportion. A girl who is pretty is someone we would definitely show off to our friends and even our family. She has more confidence than "cute". There is definitely something more attractive to her. We genuinely like her, but we don't love her. She is more physically attractive than anything else. When we say, "You're really pretty," it may be contrived as insincere, which is why you hear it less often. It's hard to tell a girl she's "pretty" in just the right way without her feeling it's a left-handed compliment. But, in the end, we pretty much mean what we are saying and we definitely find you attractive. Did I mention it can also be used as a ploy to get down your pants? Shhh... don't give any of my secrets away.

Third, there's "hot". "Hot" is pretty straightforward. It means we think you look awesome and we want to get it on as soon as possible before you might "cool down". "Hot" is one of those words girls almost certainly want to hear. "Hot" is also a word that reverberates in their minds. They want to be "hot". "Hot" is over-rated. We use that word all the time -- especially when describing celebrities. Jennifer Aniston is hot. Marge Simpson is hot (LOL). "Hot" is a push-button word we use to get down your pants. Used properly, and with enough infusion of alcohol, it almost certainly works. It's also a word we repeat more than the first two. "You're hot. You are so hot." And, when we "get it on", it's a word used in the bedroom, where the other two just aren't..

Finally, my fellow blogger -- now understanding all three of these -- asked me to define beautiful.

Now, this is much easier. "Beautiful" means I love you. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it. When we say you are beautiful it encompasses everything about you. We really want to be with you and have a meaningful relationship (or we're lying really well). This is a term reserved for the best of the best and isn't thrown around lightly. It refers, as I said, to a girl's inner-being as well as her outer features. We are definitely taking her home to meet Mom and Dad. It's also the word that appears in more songs than any other. James Blunt is the most recent example. Next to "love", beautiful is probably used in more love songs than any other word, which is why I clearly equate it to love.

That's "Guyspeak" for today. Any questions? Let me know. Want me to decipher more? Let me know that, too. This is Nigel Vossap at your service.

Hmm...I'm learning a lot here. Really.

One word that you've left off is the generic "attractive," as in "I find you attractive." Is it just me, or is that a way to just avoid the subject altogether?

But your explanations totally makes sense. I once asked my husband if he thought I was cute--cause he never calls me cute, but will use the other terms often--and he just looked at me like I was on some acid trip and said that I was much more than that. Now it's all making sense.

Thank you, Nigel. :)

Oh yeah, and depending on the girl and the relationship and the particular "situation," the word beautiful can be used successfully in the bedroom.

Just my helpful hint of the day.

Wow Nigel. I think you should make this a regular feature on your blog. Very informative.

See the blogger that inspired this post also just learned a whole lot more :)

Now how about adorable?

and if a guy looks in your eyes and says "beauty personified"

and then there is, of course, sexy.

:)

P.S Glad I could be of service to your blog...great post!!

Nice post. I like your explanation of "beautiful".

Me-
"Attractive" is a misnomer for "good looking". If we call you attractive, it means you're okay, but we're not going to write home about it. In a sense, it is a way to avoid the subject altogether. It's something nice that we say, but there isn't much meaning behind that word.
Nigel

That was TOTALLY a wonderful post. Guys are a bit of an enigma with the whole guy speak thing.

I once had a guy say I was beautiful but he also ignores me alot! What the?

Thanks for stopping by my post.. and glad you liked it.

ADORABLE, SEXY AND GORGEOUS DEFINED

Nigel: adorable is just that...... it means you adore the person. you are happy to be with them. you REALLY like them. They aren't any of the other words... because adorable is more a spiritual type thing

rachel: Ok....

Nigel: sexy means they have a certain appeal to them....... it's sexual in nature

Nigel: continuing......

Nigel: you don't want to mount them immediately... you can hold back just a little bit..... but not a lot.... you have this rush through you like they are going to end up more beautiful than not

Nigel: it's hard to really say

Nigel: but they are fun, whimsical, hot...(in a diff way)

rachel: this is all very informative

Nigel: sexy is also linked to gorgeous.....

rachel: i have been called different things by different people but there seems to be a theme

nigel: gorgeous is the wow factor. it knocks your socks off. it is the person you think has looks, style, attitude... in short, gorgeous rocks

thanks to the visit at insaneasylime.

fun post. it was good to know that i've mostly been interpreting theses words correctly, not that i'm out in the mix much since i'm married. but when hearing single friends and trying to interpret with them who is sincere and who isn't. also brought a tear to my eye remembering being called beautiful...

Thanks for the tips, Nigel. I recently had a guy tell me I'm beautiful, but then I realized he says that to everybody. Words come easily to him. Ya gotta laugh... hah.

I find I prefer to be called goddess.

Thanks Nigel - a little education goes a long way!

Very informative. Actually, this one should be published in Glamour magazine or something; they have a guys' point of view. Submit it! Get paid for this!

I am glad you all enjoyed this piece. I am definitely going to make it a feature. Just send me your words/questions/issues and I will comment if you wish.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted