« Home | What I Hated About MTV's VMAs » | Where Have You Gone, Nigel Vossap? » | Premature Ejaculation » | Time Passages » | Ike Farts » | The Down and Out Dudes » | About Dr. J » | How Phone Books Taunt Us » | Idiot Haiku Friday Volume V » | Genes vs. Jeans »

What Is Labor Day, Anyway?

Labor Day, for those of us in the United States, has become a total crock of shit if you ask me. My Mother worked today because the mall was open. Half of the restaurants in the city were open. Drugstores changed their hours, but remained open. Gas stations -- they're open, too. Grocery stores -- open. Movie theatres -- open. Car dealerships -- open. Heck, it remains a mystery to me why we have this Labor Day thing anyway. Perhaps it is a day where we truly labor. Look, government workers get the day off. Schools are closed so teachers are off. Aside from these 'lucky laborers', I don't see a point to this holiday other than to stuff ourselves at a merry-go-round of picnics. I thought this Labor Day thing was supposed to be a day of rest and relaxation, but tell it to these workers who -- in effect -- are giving up a holiday to work. Thank goodness for time and a half. A real labor day would involve every one to shut down. Do you know how much that would hurt our economy? One day of everyone walking away from their jobs would literally stifle and devastate the economy. That's why I suggest this day be renamed "Worker Appreciation Day" for those of us who do work and produce on this so-called 'holiday'. It's more appropriate to recognize the American workers who keep the economy as robust as can be during these tough times.

As for me, I spent the day volunteering.... it's not actually labor, but it makes you feel as if you're actually doing something productive on this day. Then again, if it weren't for my labor in volunteering, some things just wouldn't get done.

To that end, I extend my appreciation to all of you who work on this day to make our country a better place to be.

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted