« Home | Idiot Haiku Friday Volume V » | Genes vs. Jeans » | ANOTHER POP QUIZ » | My Best Question Yet? » | Another Look at Looks... » | Birthday Dinner Fun » | Funny Friendship "Pass-it-On" E-mail » | When a Stranger Smiles at You » | Wedding Etiquette » | Good News For Visitors »

How Phone Books Taunt Us

Phone books, like the ones we have 'stored' in our phones can taunt and tantalize every single one of us. I, for one, get so caught up in having names and numbers in my book that I forget to purge old numbers. This reminds me of People Purging, a pastime I am celebrating once again this time of year. The old numbers in my phone book represent ex-girlfriends, the restaurants where we used to go together, work associates I no longer associate with, people I can't even recall and places I want to forget. How's that for a list? So, why do we keep these numbers stored? I think it's a game we play with ourselves to fool ourselves into believing we're more important than we actually are. (Think: He with the most toys wins) If that's so, my delusions of self-grandeur have reached an epoch proportion, and someone has to reign in my damn ego. I have hundreds of names and numbers in my phone, and dozens of names and e-mail addresses in my Hotmail Address Book. What have I done? I am besieged by the people, places and things I once 'coveted'. Alas, I know why I have most of these numbers there. It's the same reason I am a self-proclaimed 'pack rat'. I have to hang on to bits of the past. So, forgive me if I see Dr. J's number in the phone, or the number of the restaurant where I proposed to my ex-fiance, or the number of a building inspector in a city where I no longer do business. These aren't numbers I will likely ever dial again. But, I keep them there to remind me of bits and pieces of my past. For better or worse, those numbers take me to a place and/or time that are part of me. Eventually, as I am doing right now, I purge the numbers. I cleanse myself of the urge to call. I move on. For in the end, the numbers won't do any of us any good anyway if there is nothing or no one important at the end of the line.

Hey Nigel!

I hope the purging has gone well. It does seem like a good idea...(I'm a pack rat too)...

I see I'm still on your 'Most Wanted' list, so I guess I'm still in the loop...Thanks.

Take care out there, Nigel!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

I'm horrible at recalling numbers, so I like to keep them stored in the cell phone just in case someone calls me--no suprises after I say hello.

People purging is good for the soul though.

Yup, I'm riding both sides of the fence....oww...is that a splinter? ;)

i do this to. i am now down to 34 people - most of whom i only have listed in case THEY call me

Wait...why won't you be dialing Dr J's number anymore? Damnit, when did this happen, I thought I read every post.

I'm like you, Nigel. I keep everything, even all my e-mails. And then I get ruthless and purge everything. But you know what? The very next day I realize I have purged a number that I needed.

Was Dr. J. the person you went to the lovely restaurant with the jazz band with? Didn't work out? That's too bad...

Josie

I'm with angelfire!

Last we heard of Dr. J, you guys had a great 2nd-and-a-half date. And now you're purging her number?

Tell us what happened!

i measure my importance by the number of keys i have. i have no cell phone, so can't go there with you.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted