« Home | When Time Runs Out » | Music Messes With Our Minds Sometimes » | I am So Tired » | True Friends vs. "Peripheral Friends" » | Do As I Say and Not As I Do » | Why a Colin Deserves an Exclamation Point » | The NAAFA » | I Hear Ya' Loud and Clear (Sort Of) » | Big Papa Pump » | Wacky Wednesday Why's? (Things to Consider) »

First, a Hero. Now, a Derby Winner.

Just give me my Kentucky Derby. This thing is a couple minutes of the most amazing sport ever. Now, granted, I am not a horse racing fan throughout the year. But, every year I am glued to the tube for this amazing race. It's a great rush, and today was no different. There are always a series of story lines that accompany this race.

Today, the winning horse, Barbaro, was trained by Michael Matz. Matz is an extraordinary hero because he saved children from the carnage of United Airlines Flight 232 that crashed into an Iowa cornfield in 1989. I remember seeing that fiery crash all over television at the time. Today, three of those children sat with Matz and Barbaro's owner to enjoy the great victory. That's what makes Matz extraordinary. He not only saved these kids, he never forgot them.

Barbaro, at 5-1 and undefeated, will probably head to the Preakness on May 20 as the favorite in its effort to be the first Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978.

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted