« Home | I Hear Ya' Loud and Clear (Sort Of) » | Big Papa Pump » | Wacky Wednesday Why's? (Things to Consider) » | Drunk Dialing » | Jim Croce and I » | Professor Sarah Trenholm and Interpersonal Communi... » | Some Saturday Morning Philosophy » | Idiot Haiku Friday Volume III (By Popular Demand) » | Idiot Haiku Friday Vol. II » | Idiot Haiku for Friday »

The NAAFA

I am not obese, but I am not thin either. Since high school, I have always struggled with my weight. So, I am acutely aware of the people around me who are "overweight", and I am sensitive to their various situations. I am proud to admit I go to Weight Watchers, which has been extremely successful for me. I have lost 30 pounds since August. I want to lose about 20-30 more, and I will. Others won't be as fortunate as I am. They will continue to struggle, battle, and stave off daily stereotypes of being "fat".

The organization is called the National Association for the Advancement of Fat Acceptance.

So, I was surprised to learn about an organization that caters to people who are overweight. Its website is chock full of information for people who are battling weight issues. Its mission is commendable. It's one of those obscure organizations that I just didn't know existed until I read/heard about it the other day.

According to its website, "Founded in 1969, the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance is a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support."

This group even has a Hall of Fame. The group says there are 38 million of us who face biases because of our weight. Thegroup has several chapters across the country.

I write about the organization as a means of educating those of you out there who do not have problems with being overweight. I encourage you to check out the website to learn more about obesity in this country, and what this organization is doing to counteract it.

Go to: www.naafa.org for more information on the organization.

i enjoyed you " Drunk Dialing " note.
your are lucky if you lose that pounds. I'm struggling with my weight now.

Greetings from Chile

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted