« Home | Do As I Say and Not As I Do » | Why a Colin Deserves an Exclamation Point » | The NAAFA » | I Hear Ya' Loud and Clear (Sort Of) » | Big Papa Pump » | Wacky Wednesday Why's? (Things to Consider) » | Drunk Dialing » | Jim Croce and I » | Professor Sarah Trenholm and Interpersonal Communi... » | Some Saturday Morning Philosophy »

True Friends vs. "Peripheral Friends"

My parents have been married for 36 years. They have, by all perspective, a wonderful marriage. This makes me one of the most fortunate guys in the world, because they have set a very good (if not high) example for me about marriage and also about friendships. You see, in this life we have very few TRUE friends. We may have plenty of peripheral friends, but none of these are TRUE friends.

Case in point. I just went through a series of unhappy events in my life. I have plenty of friends. But, the events made my TRUE friends stand out from the peripheral friends in my life -- those people who are really just acquaintances or simple friends. My best friend of 28 years had my back the entire time. He was there for me, solid as a rock, and able to handle my burdens day in and day out. Another friend of 15 years was so amazing to me. She basically dropper her son, husband and family to hear me air out my dirty laundry every day. She is a Saint to me, and I owe her big time. Another friend of 15 years just simply called me to make certain I was okay. My family was all with me, all along (as they should be).

On the flip side, another friend of 28 years did not call. He did not return phone calls. He was basically void throughout my experience. Now I am supposed to be there for him and be happy for him throughout a pleasant life cycle event for him. Now, I will be there for him -- as a peripheral friend -- but not as the "true" friend he has known in the past, because we are simply past that. Another friend of 11 years was so involved in himself, and so caught up in his "own crap", that he forgot to check in with me too.

Folks, when the proverbial "shit hits the fan", you find out who your TRUE friends are. They are the people who call, write, care, take you out, lift you up, have your back. They are not the ones who listen to your problems, tell you how sorry they are, and drop back to that peripheral part of your life. In life, we only have a few true friends. Earlier, I told you my parents had been successfully married 36 years. They only have a few TRUE friends (couples) and then other peripheral friends.

Learn now how to distinguish between the two, and it will certainly make you stronger as time goes by.

I can totally relate.
Great post. I will be back.
Wondering if I have been a true friend to those who expect it of me though....hope so

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Nigel Vossap
  • From Cleveland, Ohio

  • I am Ike, a ten-year-old Rottweiler who just relocated to South Florida with my trusty owner, Eric. Together, the two of us are soaking in the sun and chasing some of the finest .... well, you know.

CLICK TO LEARN MORE ABOUT NIGEL VOSSAP

Strange's 10 Most Wanted